Monday, November 5, 2007

A Change For the Better

While going through this blog, I think I have really been exposed to a new form of writing and communication, all while being exposed to researching and focusing on a new topic. As I continued to study and form opinions about socioeconomic status in relation to criminal sentencing, I began to understand more what our court system is truly like. I think I have broadened my views, and I have opened my mind to more possibilities for reform. Before undergoing this project, I hadn’t thought about this issue very much, and I felt kind of uninformed and close minded, but now I am able to think more for myself and understand the issues which are prevalent today.
In the case of socioeconomic status versus criminal sentencing, I still think there is a great bias taking place. While many people argue that there is little evidence to prove this, results don’t always come from statistics. Just by looking at the court room and the results based on certain social factors, it’s easy to see how much of an issue this is.
I feel relieved to complete this area of focus, ending my topic of discussion on socioeconomic factors in criminal sentencing, but at the same time, I feel priviledged to have this experience. I was able to branch out of my normal routine, expose an issue which I learned much about, and interact with other people sharing or opposing my ideas. While this issue still isn't resolved, I am glad to have at least shed some light on this problem of today's court system, and learn more about it myself. It has begun my effort to start a life of my own thoughts and ideas, inspiring me to take a stand for what I believe in. This blog may be over for me today, but the striving toward justice will still prevail.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I really enjoyed your post because some similar feelings happened to me. This blog forced me to be open to other people's ideas. Still now, I'll read some responses and get irritated because people completely misinterpreted my post or completely disagreed with me. However, I realize that this is a good thing! By causing me anger or making me re-explain my point, I have discovered more about myself and the opinions that I feel. I'm glad to know someone else enjoyed this slightly less formal form of writing.

Akansha said...

I agree with you that socioeconomic status versus criminal sentencing is an important issue in our judicial system that needs some reform. I feel the same way about this project as well. It helped me learn more about various aspects of the US judicial system and learn about other people's opinons about them in the process. I was able to view issues from other people's points of view. My opinion on many of these issues has changed during the duration of this project. I enjoyed working on this blog because, as you said, it was an opportunity to become less closed-minded and accept other people's opinons.

d.ashilei said...

I agree that your topic was appropriate and that it makes you open your mind to other issues. I like your argument because socioeconomics runs into race issues and the overall stereotypes that americans generally have regarding the poor. I think that despite there being a lot of statistical evidence to prove your point, everyone knows that you're right. I'm glad you pointed out that not all evidence has to be in a book of numbers because a lot of controversial things go undocumented. There are so many issues that come up in debating socioecominic status. I completely understand how the blog project opens up your mind to other ideas. I was able to see the other side of my argument too and that makes me feel more open to ideas.

Imran said...

Socioeconomic status is a huge factor in America, and not only in the justice system. You are right in that statistics are only one piece of evidence; it is definitely necessary to look at individual situations and specific events. I also agree that this blog project has increased everyone's awareness on multiple issues. When we researched each of our topics, we had to consider all types of arguments, even ones we disagree with. That can broaden our viewpoints and help in making better arguments.