Monday, November 5, 2007

Growing through Blogging: Self Analysis

I think writing this blog has really shed light on a new form of writing and communication, and has taught me to make my argumentative writing more logic based. Writing for a blog and having people comment on my ideas, as I formed them is something new and required additional planning from my part. I liked the comments because usually I'm unsure if I'm going in the right direction but Yeo!!! really helped me out. As I continued to study and form opinions about racial disparities in the criminal justice system, I began to understand that the court system like most things has room for error. This supports the name of our blog "grayjustice."I think I have broadened my views, and I have opened my mind to the other side of this debate and am now pro death penalty. Before undergoing this blog, I was very close-minded and had given up on this issue and felt that it had been reduced to dealing more with political issues than human rights.
In the case of racism in the criminal justice system, I am no longer sure whether black people are treated unfairly, and I don't know if this is still an issue when dealing with the death penalty. I took a side, and tried to stick with it, but it became harder and harder. I have found that DNA evidence and sophisticated gathering of evidence reduces most of the margin of error. Now that our society embraces this technology when deciding if someone is guilty of murder and should die, I think that its fair. I have found that most people sentenced to death aren't so innocent and that we shouldn't protect them, and could have never come to this conclusion without over researching for this topic on the death penalty. Though I discarded most of these sites, I read through all of them and then formed my opinion, with both sides layed out in front of me. This is what I feel education is all about, having substance behind what you believe, but always keeping an open mind. I think some of the exploratory articles I found towards the end of my journey hint that the world is changing, and maybe I will too. But not without strong credible sources and a good understanding of the issues thanks to my experience blogging with my fellow classmates. THANK YOU GUYS!

1 comment:

annadele said...

To me the death penalty is more of an ethical issue than a practical one. It's the manifestation of the ultimate power that a government has over an individual - that the individual doesn't have the right to kill but the state does...despite the fact that, as it is nothing more than a conglomerate of individuals, the state is just as fallible.